In this article we described strawberry and its nutritional facts. Downsides of strawberry and some important tips of use are also included.
The strawberry is grown widely worldwide. It is well known due to aroma, juicy texture, appealing color, and taste. It is consumed throughout the world in different forms like fresh, juices, in desserts, and in preserved form. In the 21st century, due to the increasing demand of consumers, it has been cultivated commercially that in more in aroma, long shelf life and grow in different shapes.
One serving (100 g) of strawberry provides about 33 kcal. It is a rich source of vitamin C and also provides enough amount of manganese and other vitamins and minerals. Strawberry Nutritional Facts are listed here:
|Nutritional value per 100g||Calories 33kcal|
Phytochemicals in Strawberry
- Phenolic acid
Health Benefits of Strawberry
Strawberry is full of nutrition. It has many nutritional facts and health benefits. It is packed with vitamins and minerals. As, it is a rich source of antioxidants, polyphenols, fat-free, sodium-free, low caloric and high in potassium and manganese. So, it provides different health benefits.
As it is an excellent source of vitamin C. its 1 serving provides about half of the daily requirement of vitamin C. By consuming 2 servings meet the daily need of the body. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and free radical scavenger so it helps to improve immunity.
Protect from cancer
Due to antioxidants it improves immunity and ellagic acid (phytochemical) produce anti-cancers cells and induce apoptosis in cancer cells.
Protect from cataract
Antioxidants reduce oxidative stress and prevent damage to cornea and lens. Prevent from developing a cataract that causes blindness in older age.
Vitamin C helps in the production of collagen and keeps skin elastic and protects from wrinkles. Not only has vitamin C ellagic acid also involved in the prevention of collagen destruction so it acts as an anti-wrinkle agent.
Ellagic acid and flavonoids in it that impart antioxidant effects are involved in the best heart health booster. As these lower the LDL and increase HDL that helps to prevent the formation of plaque in arteries. Due to the anti-inflammatory effect good for the heart.
Protect from Arthritis
Phytochemicals and antioxidants help to reduce inflammation and prevent arthritis.
Control Blood Pressure
The high content of potassium and sodium-free helps to control high blood pressure. It acts as a buffer against sodium. It reduces inflammation, lowers blood pressure, and LDL, so very good for the heart.
It is high in water and fiber so good for constipation, diverticulitis, and intestinal health. High fiber content also slows down glucose absorption and helps to maintain blood glucose.
As it carries high content of water, fiber, no fat, no sodium, and low calories. So, It is very helpful in weight management. It is the best snack option and replaces other bakery products and unhealthy snack options.
It contains folate. That is very good during the early period of pregnancy help in the development of the brain, skull, and spinal cord development. Folic acid prevents certain birth defects like neural tube defects.
Tips to add Strawberry in your diet
- Cut into small pieces and add in chicken salad
- Make cocktail by using with other fresh fruits like pineapple, peach, etc
- Make milkshakes of it. It gives very beautiful flavor and taste
- Make slices and add o yogurt that is best in breakfast and even in snack time
- Can top on slices of bread, waffles, pancakes and can prepare syrup that can be used to top dessert and breakfast foods
- To make smoothies add frozen strawberries and other fresh fruit
Down Sides of Strawberries
- There are chances of pesticide residuals at strawberry. It is on the top of the list.
- Due to high potassium should be avoided to use freely if you are on the medicine of high blood pressure. Because beta-blockers in medicine also high in potassium and can cause a problem
- If the kidney is not functioning properly then avoid it because high potassium can cause hyperkalemia